Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TELX-HD Sub Channel

jay214128

I see that KNSD has added two additional sub channels. TELX-HD (39.20, 1080i) and TELX-DT (39.21, 480i). They both seem to be broadcasting the same programming, which in itself is a waste of bandwidth. The bad news is that this can only reduce the quality of KNSD-HD, the NBC HD channel. Well, at least KNBC still has better picture quality.

KNSD 39.1, .2, .20, .21 back on the air--intermittently.
Based on other local OTA TV with subchannels, using two 1080i and two 480 subchannels on one "band" is not advisable.

Since COX is not using the OTA signal, I doubt if their viewers have these problems because Cox gets a full signal strength feed, then each sub-ch. is sent to a discrete cable channel, right? I hope they reconsider.

Other multi-channel stations don't even attempt one 1080 (e.g. Fox 69.1 = 720, 69.2, 69.3 = 480, ABC ch10.1=720, 10.2, 10.15=480). I have noticed a similar degradation on KPBS 15, since 15.1, .2 = 720; 15.3, 15.4 (test pattern) = 480

I have 2 discrete OTA systems, current ch 39 results:
Sony Bravo shows 68/100 signal strength. Lots of tiling and pausing.
Second system (via Old D-to-A box) shows 54/100 ss.

Last edited:
I see that KNSD has added two additional sub channels. TELX-HD (39.20, 1080i) and TELX-DT (39.21, 480i). They both seem to be broadcasting the same programming, which in itself is a waste of bandwidth. The bad news is that this can only reduce the quality of KNSD-HD, the NBC HD channel. Well, at least KNBC still has better picture quality.
Lucky you to get LA KNBC. I am seeing a lot of tiling on 39.x since they started cramming "4 pounds in a 3 pound bucket"!

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe TELX-HD is a placeholder for a new Telemundo station (O&O) as Comcast wants to control everything and do it in house. KNSD is hiring for such station for quite some time and expect it to go into service in June or later in the year. I hear they will utilize the same studio as KNSD and use the same journalists and infrastructure. Spanish programming is not that much more for KNSD to produce, but it can make them more money. The fate of XHAS is rather unknown at this point, unless KNSD takes over 34 as the operator or they take over an LD or even CH. 51 (not likely for 51).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Makes sense that telx HD is a placeholder for telemundo San Diego and yes the pq will suffer but it will give telemundo a powerful full power presence in sd!