Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Time Warner/Comcast merger

kevinc said:
Time Warner Inc (stock ticker TWX) = content company owning HBO, CNN etc, recently bid for by Murdoch's Fox.

Time Warner Cable (stock ticker TWC) = cable company merging with Comcast.
I read that the Fox deal was rejected because something like $60 billion of the Fox price was in stock. But don't count Fox out just yet.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/comcast-tivo-working-non-cablecard-approach/375989

Here is an interesting article, that points out that Tivo and Comcast are working on a non CableCARD security solution. This could allow a TiVo to have full access to Cable TV, VOD, and maybe SDV (if the operator has it enabled and uses Tivo TA less SDV implementation) without the need for a CableCARD. Not sure how this will effect those on MediaCenter and other solutions, but Comcast and the cableco's will likely keep CableCARD going for a long time, as even Comcast and Time warner have boxes that use CableCARD security systems. What would really be cool, is that this security system could be integrated into a CableCARD, but I doubt that will happen. I predict this is a return of DCAS, which was being pegged by CableLabs and the cableco's, but was rejected, likely due to costs.