Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Time-Warner Outages in San Diego Area

DRB

Member
Channel 10-1 disappeared from the internal clear QAM tuners on my TVs yesterday.
But its fine on the DVR cable box.
Could this be related to the upcoming channel re-mapping on Time Warner cable?

Also I noted that WGN-HD was acting strange thru my HD-DVR cable box.
When I select that channel, after that the info button and number buttons on the remote won't work.
However the guide and channel up/down buttons still work so I can tune to a different channel and then all the functions work again. WGN-HD is the only channel I've had that problem with, don't know when it started since I rarely watch it.
 
DRB said:
Channel 10-1 disappeared from the internal clear QAM tuners on my TVs yesterday.
But its fine on the DVR cable box.
Could this be related to the upcoming channel re-mapping on Time Warner cable?

Also I noted that WGN-HD was acting strange thru my HD-DVR cable box.
When I select that channel, after that the info button and number buttons on the remote won't work.
However the guide and channel up/down buttons still work so I can tune to a different channel and then all the functions work again. WGN-HD is the only channel I've had that problem with, don't know when it started since I rarely watch it.
I lost 10-1 also. So I did a rescan of my Samsung and it still failed to properly find it. But I checked and 10 HD was way up in the 77's.+ For me it was 77-353.
 

DRB

Member
Yes 77-353 tunes the KGTV-HD clear QAM channel for now.
So it appears the TW PSIP data for KGTV-HD is messed up for the last few days, so you can only tune it if you know the physical channel. The virtual 10-1 channel has disappeared for clear QAM.
 

kevinc

Member
DRB said:
Yes 77-353 tunes the KGTV-HD clear QAM channel for now.
So it appears the TW PSIP data for KGTV-HD is messed up for the last few days, so you can only tune it if you know the physical channel. The virtual 10-1 channel has disappeared for clear QAM.
Must depend on area or something - I've checked my ClearQAM tuner a couple of times and as of now 10-1 is still coming in fine.
 

DRB

Member
kevinc said:
I've checked my ClearQAM tuner a couple of times and as of now 10-1 is still coming in fine.
Thats because TWC appears to have finally fixed the problem now. My TVs now have 10-1 back as well, but it was gone the past few days.
 

DRB

Member
This evening in my area of Rancho Bernardo the signal's on mid to high frequencies are very noisy with poor SNR causing pixelation or complete dropouts on several digital/HD channels. I believe it was OK earlier today.
I just checked the signal right at the cable line coming into my house, prior to any splitters or internal cabling and its still bad there, so its definitely bad signal before getting to my house.
I usually get SNR levels of around 35db on all channels and at the cable modem for internet, but tonight its down to 28 or less on mid to high frequency channels and the cable modem.
I can also see checking higher analog channels, noisy analog signals from channel 40 and above.

I can also boost the cable signal and see the signal level go up but the SNR stays bad, so its not just a signal level problem but seems to be too much noise coming in with the signal on the coax cable before it gets in my house.

I looked up what the SNR should be for QAM256 channels and it should be 30db or higher, so thats why I'm getting problems with 28db or lower that my HD-DVR is reporting on many digital/HD channels tonight. I'm getting an SNR of 28db right now on my cable modem, but thats good enough for my internet to work but its probably getting a lot of bit errors that force packet retransmissions causing a bit slower speed. Confirmed - running several different internet speedtests tonight I'm only getting around 3Mb/sec download speed compared to normal 16Mb/sec for my standard TWC cable internet! I can also see lots of errors (correctable and non-correctable) in the total counts on digital/HD channels listed on my HD-DVR tonight too, normally they are zero.

Can anyone confirm this in other areas? Or is this another local issue, perhaps a local neighborhood hardware problem that TWC needs to work on now?
 
DRB said:
This evening in my area of Rancho Bernardo the signal's on mid to high frequencies are very noisy with poor SNR causing pixelation or complete dropouts on several digital/HD channels. I believe it was OK earlier today.
I just checked the signal right at the cable line coming into my house, prior to any splitters or internal cabling and its still bad there, so its definitely bad signal before getting to my house.
I usually get SNR levels of around 35db on all channels and at the cable modem for internet, but tonight its down to 28 or less on mid to high frequency channels and the cable modem.
I can also see checking higher analog channels, noisy analog signals from channel 40 and above.

I can also boost the cable signal and see the signal level go up but the SNR stays bad, so its not just a signal level problem but seems to be too much noise coming in with the signal on the coax cable before it gets in my house.

But it seems fixed this morning. For now anyway.

I looked up what the SNR should be for QAM256 channels and it should be 30db or higher, so thats why I'm getting problems with 28db or lower that my HD-DVR is reporting on many digital/HD channels tonight. I'm getting an SNR of 28db right now on my cable modem, but thats good enough for my internet to work but its probably getting a lot of bit errors that force packet retransmissions causing a bit slower speed. Confirmed - running several different internet speedtests tonight I'm only getting around 3Mb/sec download speed compared to normal 16Mb/sec for my standard TWC cable internet! I can also see lots of errors (correctable and non-correctable) in the total counts on digital/HD channels listed on my HD-DVR tonight too, normally they are zero.

Can anyone confirm this in other areas? Or is this another local issue, perhaps a local neighborhood hardware problem that TWC needs to work on now?
Around 5:00PM last night I noticed 37,38,39, 40 and 41 were highly pixilated and un-watchable. I called TW and they said they had no other reports but I asked them to report my call. Then an hour or so later, 7 and 8 started going. I called again. The rep said he would log the problems and notify someone. He said he had no record of an outage in the area. I called a friend down my block who confirmed we had issues in Carmel Valley. Channel 41 now had a black box and note saying the channel was unavailable. Finally I called again at 9:15PM. Now many channels were going. After an extra long hold (which in itself tells you they have an issue) the rep again told me they had no know issues. Personally I could not believe it. Once 7 and 8 started going I suspected they had lots of calls. So I asked for a credit due to an un-watchable picture on numerous channels. She gave me a one day credit. I decided a while ago that if they want to charge me $125+/- a month, they better deliver quality service. So 5 hours with picture issues was enough to request a credit.
 

DRB

Member
The TWC signal/noise problem last night appears to have been fixed this morning.
All my cable TV digital channels are now back up to normal SNR (~34dB) as well as my cable internet model signal & SNR.
So it sounds like this problem last night was more widespread than just my local RB neighborhood?
Its unsettling that TWC claims they had no reports of problems last night though they must have finally decided there was a problem and had somebody work to fix it this morning anyway.
I estimate the problem started last night sometime between 6-8pm since my TV channels were fine around 5pm but before 9pm they had the noise problem which was still the case until up till late morning. Thats at least a 12 hour outage period I'd estimate.
 
Yesterday (late afternoon until this morning) I had about 10 channels go out on both my 2 Tuning Adapters. The cable box was fine. Some were 31, 39, 49 etc. Most were fine. So I called TW. They sent new "hits" to each Adapter. I rebooted them. Never did get a picture on those channels. Just a black error message saying the channels were not available. And as usual, the TW rep had no idea what else to do or if other Tuning Adapter users had similar problems. She just wanted to roll a truck. I said to wait. And I was right. This morning everything is back just fine. Anyone else have Tuning Adapter issues late yesterday?
 
Last night, after about 8:00PM many HD channels from about 28 to at least 49 were severely pixilating. And when I tried to call TW on my TW phone, I got a message saying the network was unavailable, try again later. I finally gave up at about 9:45PM. It seems to be back this morning. But we missed a few shows we wanted to see.
 

DRB

Member
The pixelation problem appeared again tonight (Thurs) for only about 10min a little after 9:00pm.
Seemed to effect most satellite channels, but not the local channels.
I checked during the pixelation time with my HD DVR in diagnostic mode and even then all the channels signal levels were fine and no data errors detected. So the pixelation and macro-blocking must have been caused earlier in the signal chain.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I have not had too many problems with my TWC service, but I've experienced some pixellation on VOD.
 
So yesterday morning (Sunday), around 9:30AM , I decide to check out the NFL Channel. And I get the infamous Yellow "A" error. Channel not available now, press "A" to try again. No luck. Then searching my channels I find between 40 and 50 such problems. Everything from Headline news, FXX Channel, Fox Business, Lots of sports channels, etc. Same error. So I decide to call customer service at TW. I get a standard message that there appears to be a problem in my area. And the hold time is long. But I can hold for a rep or press #1 to get a rep to call me back...in 40 minutes or so. So I did. They did call back eventually. My channels were still out at 9:00PM. But back on this morning. So I had to wait 40+ minutes to complain to a rep. Wait until Comcast takes over.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My modem shows no dhcp but it could be dhcp being down or could be that twc is adding up steam bonding to our area.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
No bonding, or anything else. Might have been a minor regional outage. Our area is still 4x1 or maybe my modem cannot bond anything higher than that. Could, it be that it has the wrong config file so that it can only do 4x1.
 

DRB

Member
Yep in my area of RB starting around 11pm last night my TWC internet cable modem lost connection, cable modem log showed it couldn't get DHCP working. Still had the same problem for at least 2 hours, don't know how long the outage lasted, but it was back to normal this morning.
Might have been some kind of maintenance they do at late night hours?
Was it a local area outage (RB area) or more widespread?
 
Top