Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Time Warner - QAM included with HSI?

sbddude

I currently live in a Cox area and with my HSI services I get local HD channels on QAM. Does TWC work the same way? I want to hook up a HDHomeRun to get local channels.

sbddude said:
I currently live in a Cox area and with my HSI services I get local HD channels on QAM. Does TWC work the same way? I want to hook up a HDHomeRun to get local channels.
I thought with a HDHomeRun you needed a cable card and tuner adapter for TW cable.

sbddude

fblack_111 said:
sbddude said:
I thought with a HDHomeRun you needed a cable card and tuner adapter for TW cable.
HDHomeRun has models with and without cable card. Without cable card you only get local channels (ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, CBS), and a few others like CSPAN.

Steveo_in_sd

sbddude said:
fblack_111 said:
sbddude said:
HDHomeRun has models with and without cable card. Without cable card you only get local channels (ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, CBS), and a few others like CSPAN.
Legally speaking, although you may have the ability to tune the ClearQAM channels when you have Cox HSI, you are not entitled to do so. FCC regulations clearly state that the cable company must specifically authorize you to utilize a video service or else it is illegal for you to do so, even if there are no technical or mechanical barriers preventing you from doing so. If you ever get a communication from Cox or TWC stating that it is ok to utilize ClearQAM channels when you only subscribe to HSI, please post the communication here so we can all benefit.

The HDHomeRun Prime requires a cablecard to tune the non-ClearQAM channels, but I have heard that if you have a working cablecard and use it to set up a Ceton InfiniTV (competing device to the HDHomeRun Prime) and then remove it, the InfiniTV will still tune the ClearQAM channels. The HDHomeRun Prime may work the same way. This device works with SDV.

The HDHomeRun is a ClearQAM tuner and cannot tune any protected channels. I'm not sure if it works with SDV or not.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
You can also use the Hauppauge tuners for clearQAM for now, until the cableco's are allowed to encrypt the limited basic tier.