Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TiVo Advice Appreciated!

pbroughton

I am considering getting a Roamio Plus to supplement my 2-Tuner Premier.  I am in Escondido, Cox North (Vista) territory.  Any advice or opinions regarding setting up with Cox (or Tivo, for that matter) would be appreciated.

I would 'retire' 2 Series 2 TiVos and the Explorer 3250 boxes I also use if I proceed.  These are used to provide the 'Second Tuner' for my PIP functions on the TVs.

I would use the Pause/LiveTV functions of the Tivos to simulate PIP.

I self-installed the Premier in January, 2013 with no setup problems.

Thanks for any advice or opinions on installing the Roamio, Cable Card and TA.

phil

If you have been a TiVo customer for 10 years, you *may* qualify for the unadvertised, 10 Year Loyalty discount. If you call TiVo and pay full price on the Roamio Plus or Pro and ask for the $99 Lifetime Service they should offer it. There have been many reports of success getting that deal.

If not, You should definitely purchase an eBay discount code you can get a Roamio Pro - 6 Tuner, 3TB, 450Hrs HD w/ Lifetime Service for $699.99.
or, TiVo Roamio Plus - 6 Tuner, 1TB, 150Hrs HD w/ Lifetime Service can be had for $599.99, the Pro is definitely worth the extra $100.00

The eBay seller has sold 326 codes and has 100% positive feedback, offer him $39.00 and he should accept it.
He also has a site selling the codes, http://spherular.com/ Use the coupon code: COMMUNITY to also get the code for $39.00

Cox has removed the Self install CableCARD support articles, but here are the links to the pdf files.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/CCI110069_CableCardInstallGuide_CiscoCT2.pdf

If you plan to use the onboard MoCA of the Roamio to connect a TiVo Mini you must use a splitter and POE Filter on the Tuning Adapter, otherwise you can just use the RF Coax pass-thru.
http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=a6842300-fad1-11de-f523-000000000000

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf

If you need troubleshooting assistance with the Tuning Adapter,
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

pbroughton

thank you, Bryan.

I really appreciate the updated links for the cc and TA.

Yes, I did qualify for the discount on Lifetime, so I ordered the Plus.

Thanks again!

pbroughton

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Let us know how things go, with the CableCARD and Tuning Adapter Install.  Sometimes it can be a pain.
Everything went pretty well: but had a moment with the TA: just after the hit from the headend, I got the TiVo screen that said that I had a TA, etc and to proceed -- then, the TA went blank.  Still talking with the Tech on the phone, it seemed ok from her end.  On a thought, I gently touched the on/off toggle on the front of the TA and it came back with a solid green.  The TiVo TA diagnostic screen showed that it 'booted' about 4 minutes before it went off.  Seemed odd, but running fine after about 6 hours since then.

Not to be too disparaging about Cox, BUT:  the TA self-install kit was missing one coax cable, had no POE filter, no splitter.  Didn't notice until I took off all the shrink wrap, at home. Still, I had everything I needed except the POE, but not using MOCA yet or if:  I have the Roamio on wire and the Premier on a pretty good wireless network.  I am able to transfer my banked shows from P to R with no difficulty.

I see some nice features on the Roamio that I will enjoy; but, should I be embarrassed to admit that I really, really miss the SD version of TiVo Central:  quiet! simple! gets the job done!  I admit that I follow TV and Netflix offerings closely and have numerous season passes for what I like.  Don't need to be coddled......  Also, I find the 'new' layout of the To Do list an especially poor "improvement."  Of course, I liked XP better, too.

Thanks again for your help.  Your expertise is very well appreciated in many areas.  Thanks!

phil