Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC price rises Jan 2015

kevinc

Just got my bill and I see TWC will be increasing/introducing various charges in January.
Does anybody know the basis of the new "Sports Programming Surcharge" ($2.75) shown on the list? Is that for everyone, or only say for those of us who get say ESPN or who (like me) pay for the Sports Package? I'd like to assume that this list is tailored to charges I will actually suffer, but since the list also shows the modem fee (going up again, now to $8) plus also HBO and Showtime none of which apply to me it clearly is only a general list...

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Just a way to help cover the costs of sports programming, which seems to be going up.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I've heard that leased modems are going up in price to $8/month, and broadcast TV fee will go up to $2.75/month

I currently have two small Cisco Digital Adapters to use on some older TV's that lost some analog channels. (CNBC and local KUSI specifically) For now they are free. But I heard from a tech recently that all analog channels will be removed soon on older TV's. So soon I will have to start paying $2 a month or so for these adapters. And I may need a few more for  a couple of kids bedroom TV's. Anyone know if you can buy these like you can buy a modem? I can't imagine they would be too expensive. 

Rick Shaw

fblack_111 said:
I currently have two small Cisco Digital Adapters to use on some older TV's that lost some analog channels. (CNBC and local KUSI specifically) For now they are free. But I heard from a tech recently that all analog channels will be removed soon on older TV's. So soon I will have to start paying $2 a month or so for these adapters. And I may need a few more for  a couple of kids bedroom TV's. Anyone know if you can buy these like you can buy a modem? I can't imagine they would be too expensive. 

No, you can't. None that you can use, anyway. The digital versions will be encrypted. Only cable company leased DTAs will decrypt the signal.

Thanks for the info. I figure based on TW's modem rental program and their changing rental prices; those little Cisco adapters will be $5 each before long.

kevinc

Why not buy a roku stick or cheap roku boxes for the rooms/tvs concerned? The TWC TV roku app provides access to every channel you subscribe to other than things like ESPN (which is available instead on the WatchESPN Roku App using your TWC sign on) plus gives access to all the on demand stuff and has a nice interface. The picture is perfect provided you've got adequate wifi (you can use the more expensive ethernet wired Rokus for rooms where this isn't practical). Rokus are routinely sold "refurbished" fresh from the manufacturer on deal sites like Woot, Groupon, Newegg Flash at good prices (I recently picked up a Stick for $35 refurb on Groupon, works great with a spare room TV). Just check out which version (eg hdmi vs composite. wired vs wireless) works for your needs before you buy - the Stick is ideal for a TV with HDMI and adequate wifi reception as there are no extra boxes - completely hidden for me. Note I think TWC imposes a limit of 5 devices signed in to the app at any time, including the iphone/android apps. Of course the Roku gives you access to far more than just TWC so the cost may seem justifiable even before they start charging for the Cisco boxes.

Thanks. I was not aware Roku had a TW app. I use the app on my Android phone. I will look in to it. A neighbor had a TW tech out last week and was told by the end of the year none of his kids TV's will work. They all will need some sort of adapter. He, like many of us, don't want to buy a new TV to replace an older but perfectly good TV for the kids and guest bedrooms. 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
It is a great Roku app, and it even has a EPG, that looks just like the STB's. It does require a Roku with a model number of 2400, or with the all purple UI. If your roku has the older UI with the left/right channel navigation, then the TWC app will not work on it.

kevinc

Read about the Roku app (and the list of Roku models that support it - basically all the newer ones) here:

https://www.roku.com/channels#!details/23048/time-warner-cable

The Stick is ideal if you have a decent wifi signal and supports 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz. The remote is RF so does not need line of sight making a nice solution for any TV with hdmi, but if you need an analog output for an older TV there are a number of models that will work for you with excellent picture quality. There's a good clear guide to the features of Roku models here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
The new Roku 1 and 2 are great if you have an older TV. I have a Roku 2 XS, and TWC app works, but it is a bit slow. I bet if I get a newer Roku like a Roku 3, then the performance should be better.

kevinc

Admin65 said:
The new Roku 1 and 2 are great if you have an older TV. I have a Roku 2 XS, and TWC app works, but it is a bit slow. I bet if I get a newer Roku like a Roku 3, then the performance should be better.
Yes I have a couple of the 3 and an older 2XS (I bought the 2XS because it is the only one which has both wired ethernet and analog composite video out) as well as one stick. I can confirm the 3 is much faster than the 2XS but the latter is still a fine box (in theory I use it in case I ever need to record something from a protected channel to a PC as I no longer have any regular cable boxes and my main system is a Windows Media Center HTPC with extender boxes). I wish the 3 had a digital audio output but otherwise it is a great box.

As I said earlier, I did not know Roku could access TW channels via an app. I also saw a Roku 3 on sale at Fry's s a few days ago at a great price.
But I was wondering. I have a second house that has only TW Internet. I am not there enough to justify paying for a TV package. But my main house has the Triple Play. If I bought a Roku to replace a digital adapter (soon to have a monthly fee) at my main home, could I take it to my second house when I occasionally go there, hook it up, and get my TW channels?

kevinc

It's the same on iOS/Android and Roku: Away from Time Warner's internet (so on hotel wifi or at a second home NOT with TWC internet for example) you only get a limited selection of channels on the app - basically the OTA channels if I remember right. But if your second home has Time Warner internet then I think you'll get the full package. You may want to test with your iOS or Android device next time you're there to be sure exactly what you'll get. Remember access to ESPN is not through the TWCTV app but through the WatchESPN app using your TWC sign on.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it uses modem authentication and is tied to the modem that is on your account. Not sure about that, but I should try a scenario like that.