Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC- San Diego Plan For All Digital Conversion by 2016

DRB

Does Cox San Diego have any similar plans for the next year or so to get rid of all the analog TV channels?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Does Cox San Diego have any similar plans for the next year or so to get rid of all the analog TV channels?
No plans for Cox, but they are going to start offering analog reclamation in Orange County, so they can offer DOCSIS 3.1. Cox is using lots of SDV and some HD's are MPEG-4 (which are only accessible with HTPC, Tivo, or their Contour boxes).

Rick Shaw

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Did not know that, thank you for posting. Cox is working hard on getting all digital. Time Warner will accelerate it's digital transition, once the Charter merger is approved, but Time Warner had plans to go digital all along, so even if Charter did not merge with Time Warner, San Diego would have migrated, eventually.

So once they go all digital, is that the death for somewhat older, but perfectly working TV's? Like in my guest bedroom. Any affect on QAM tuners? And just watch them ramp up the pricing on those small Cisco digital adapters.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
So once they go all digital, is that the death for somewhat older, but perfectly working TV's? Like in my guest bedroom. Any affect on QAM tuners? And just watch them ramp up the pricing on those small Cisco digital adapters.
Yes, this will not make existing analog TV's obsolete (but will require a mini box), and I believe TWC does encrypt the local channels, so you have to use their Cisco DTA's, but TWC also uses other brands such as Technicolor as well. I believe the Technicolor is for Motorola markets though. Cable companies are allowed to encrypt local channels if they want to. This would allow TWC to reduce truck rolls, and allow for easy add/disconnection of service.

Last edited:

Rick Shaw

Yes, this will make existing analog TV's obsolete, and I believe TWC does encrypt the local channels, so you have to use their Cisco DTA's, but TWC also uses other brands such as Technicolor as well. I believe the Technicolor is for Motorola markets though. Cable companies are allowed to encrypt local channels if they want to. This would allow TWC to reduce truck rolls, and allow for easy add/disconnection of service.
Existing analog TVs will not be obsolete. The Mini-boxes all have channel 3/4 outputs - which puts out a 4:3 SD analog output - as well as an HDMI output for TVs with HDMI inputs.

Rick Shaw

So once they go all digital, is that the death for somewhat older, but perfectly working TV's? Like in my guest bedroom. Any affect on QAM tuners?
No. All TVs will still work. QAM tuners, however, will no longer be useful. They only work on ClearQAM signals, which will soon be vanishing.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Cox is using the Evolution BB HD DTA, which is pretty good, and I like the program guide as it looks like Trio.

DRB

That date is now October 13.
Is Oct 13, 2015 still the planned date for TWC to kill all the analog channels and go to 100% digital encrypted channels?
Thats less than 2 weeks away and I haven't seen any official letters from TWC or anything listed at the TWC website yet warning about this.

quisp65

Is Oct 13, 2015 still the planned date for TWC to kill all the analog channels and go to 100% digital encrypted channels?
Thats less than 2 weeks away and I haven't seen any official letters from TWC or anything listed at the TWC website yet warning about this.

I hope it's still on because a delay in that would mean a delay in Maxx probably. I only got internet through with them but I did notice my condos workout room got cisco digital adapters the other day on all the work out equipment with TVs on them. I'm in the 92108 area.

I got a lengthy letter and a flyer announcing the October 13 date a month ago. And on one of my older TV's without a cable box or adapter they have been scrolling a message about the need to get an adapter. This may be unrelated, but I did a speed test several times last week using several speed test apps and my Extreme internet had increased between 22% and 25%. Maybe someone else can check their speeds as well.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people are being over provisioned on their existing tiers and even those with maxx are over provisioned as well.

DRB

I got a flyer in the mail today from TWC San Diego that says they are going all digital beginning Nov 11, 2015.
Also it says that on Jan 11, 2016 they will start encrypting the Starter TV channels.
So it sounds like the remaining analog channels will go away on Nov 11, 2015 but the clear QAM channels (local broadcast HD stations) will still be unencrypted after that for 2 months.
So a digital adapter or cable/DVR box will be needed for the encrypted channels starting Nov 11 and for all channels Jan 11.
The flyer also states that digital adapters are free of charge until Feb 10, 2017 and $2.75+/month after that.

Interesting that you got a slightly different letter than I did over a month ago. My letter said my area was going all digital on October 13th. I wonder if they are rolling out all digital at different dates and by area. As an FYI, I ordered two digital adapters back then and they have been installed over a month. One was very temperamental to activate and it took two hours of reboots and "hits" to finally get it working. The second one now has some issues. Some channels (5, 9,and 10 as an example) flicker and flash every 20 seconds or so. It worked fine for a month. The TW techs could not fix it so they are rolling a truck in a few days.

DRB

Yes perhaps the dates vary with area, I'm in Rancho Bernardo with the Nov 11 all digital planned date.

I have a HD-DVR for my main HDTV and the secondary TV in another room is a Samsung smart TV that supports the TWC App for getting live and on demand channels via wifi, so I don't think I'll need a digital adapter device anyway.

I needed one in my bedroom and one in my office. They are free until early 2017 according to their letter and flyer. But they could only show it free until October 2016 in their system. So come next year I have to get it extended for free until early 2017. Once they start charging their $2.50+/- fee for each, I may drop them and just use OTA. If Charter buys TW, anyone know if Charter would keep charging for Digital Adapters? I hope the FTC looks into this. There are lots of lower income families who will have to pay up just to keep basic cable programs in their homes.