Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC- San Diego Plan For All Digital Conversion by 2016

DRB

Please let us know here if TWC in your area does indeed go all digital TV tomorrow (Oct 13) instead of the later date (Nov 11) listed in the letter I got last weekend.

DRB

II did a speed test several times last week using several speed test apps and my Extreme internet had increased between 22% and 25%. Maybe someone else can check their speeds as well.
My standard speed TWC internet shows from a speedtest 17.7Mb/s download speed today, a new high for me - its been 15-16Mb/s in recent months after they updated the speed from a year or two ago at 10Mb/s. Getting close to the "turbo" rated speed of 20Mb/s.
I still have an older DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem so can't get much beyond 20-30Mb/s max anyway.
I'll upgrade to a new faster cable modem if they do eventually upgrade the standard speed to above 30Mb/s.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I use a SB6183, and it is on sale on . Then again, some have had good luck with Netgear and SMC modems. I also recommend the SB6190, but TWC does not yet support it (will be supported soon.) Then again, DOCSIS 3.1 modems are coming soon.

http://amzn.to/1WZ2POm - amazon link of sb6183 for those with adblock enabled.

My channels are still working. A TW tech came out today to fix a problematic Digital Adapter. He seemed knowledgeable. He said the switch to all digital had to be moved to November since a number of customers in RB were never notified in time for the October date. I asked about the move to Maxx . He said he attended a meeting yesterday and they will roll it out in stages. He said a few older areas still need some equipment. He said the rollout should be done by February. And here is the odd part. He did not think we would get speeds up to 300. He could not elaborate. I hope he is wrong.

DRB

He said the switch to all digital had to be moved to November since a number of customers in RB were never notified in time for the October date.
Interesting - he was right since I'm in RB and didn't get a notice about Oct only the Nov 11 date.

Now this is strange. Or maybe it's me. This morning I had a few missing channels on one of my Digital Adapters. So I called their local (858) 695-3220 number. This number is burned into my brain. I have called it probably 50-60 times a year for 10 years whenever I have a technical problem or billing question. So I called TW support it this morning. When I called TW on my ATT land line I got a message that said " We are sorry but you have reached a number that has been disconnected. " Then I tried my Verizon cell phone. Same message. So to reach TW I looked up their 800 number. They fixed my Digital Adapter. But then as a test I called them on my TW VOIP phone number. And the number worked just fine. Maybe someone else can try as well and tell me what happens.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the height dimension of the SB6183 cable modem?
I have limited height space on a shelf where I keep my current modem, it appears the Netgear model is too high.
Pretty small and compact, about the size of normal motorola modems, maybe smaller (It's smaller than a SB5100 D2.0 modem). It's a pretty tiny modem. Also, Zoom and SMC also have modems for the same price as the SB6183 on amazon. Dimensions are 8.5 x 2.5 x 7.8 inches, so it might just fit. 1.8 x 5.3 x 6.5 inches are the dimensions for the SMC which is pretty small. I am not sure if the sb6183 dimensions include the packaging, but it is tiny. I think my former SB6141 is smaller. I believe all 16x4 are built on the same chip, so it does not really matter which one you buy and they all seem to be supported by TWC.

http://amzn.to/1X8h1oc - link for SMC

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
A possible downside of the SB6183 is that the LED lights will illuminate through the case. If that is an issue, the netgear CM500-100NAS or SMC might be a good option, or even that Zoom 5370 which are all approved modems on TWC.

DRB

I found the spec data sheets for the SB6183 and SB6141 online and the actual dimensions are smaller, they are only around 5" high - much smaller than the Netgear model's height which is larger than 7" and wouldn't fit on my shelf's limited height. My current SB5101 fits fine with height to spare, looks like the SB6141 and SB6183 are similar height so would work best for me.
I can use light dims (stick ons) if the LEDs are too bright.

I did notice on my Netgear CM500 that the vents are on the top and bottom of the modem. And it is about two inches taller than my old modem. But you could probably lay it on its side on a pinch.

weth

Interesting - he was right since I'm in RB and didn't get a notice about Oct only the Nov 11 date.
I am in 92121 area, received letter conversion would happen Oct 16. Alas it is the 17th and still have all analog channels.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I am in 92121 area, received letter conversion would happen Oct 16. Alas it is the 17th and still have all analog channels.
San Diego will go all digital on november 11, due to the fact that some in Rancho Bernardo did not get a letter in time. I have a letter that says that date, so that is when it will happen. Maxx to follow a few months after.

DRB

The TWC letter I got says San Diego TWC will eliminate all the analog channels Nov 11,2015 but apparently the clear QAM (free broadcast) channels will remain unencrypted until Jan 2016, so digital TVs should still be able to tune those channels for a couple more months before the internal tuners become useless for cable.

DRB

I ordered a SB6141 cable modem on sale for about $50, should get here tomorrow.
It is listed on the TWC website as supported up to 100Mb/s which is more than I should need, I'm looking for support for if MAXX upgrades the standard speed internet to 50MB/s and its an upgrade from my old DOCSIS2.0 SB5101 modem that isn't supported much over 20Mb/s.

What is the current procedure to get the new modem authorized?
I see the TWC website online authorization procedure seems to assume you are upgrading from a rented modem and that you must return it, but I'm upgrading from my own purchased modem not a rental. I don't want them to think they should get my purchased older modem back.
Also I'm connected thru a wireless router - do I need to connect the new modem directly to the computer to get it authorized or can I just connect it thru the router in place of the old modem right away?
Might this require the old fashioned calling up TWC and give them the new modem's MAC address instead of using the newer online authorization method?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a SB6141 cable modem on sale for about $50, should get here tomorrow.
It is listed on the TWC website as supported up to 100Mb/s which is more than I should need, I'm looking for support for if MAXX upgrades the standard speed internet to 50MB/s and its an upgrade from my old DOCSIS2.0 SB5101 modem that isn't supported much over 20Mb/s.

What is the current procedure to get the new modem authorized?
I see the TWC website online authorization procedure seems to assume you are upgrading from a rented modem and that you must return it, but I'm upgrading from my own purchased modem not a rental. I don't want them to think they should get my purchased older modem back.
Also I'm connected thru a wireless router - do I need to connect the new modem directly to the computer to get it authorized or can I just connect it thru the router in place of the old modem right away?
Might this require the old fashioned calling up TWC and give them the new modem's MAC address instead of using the newer online authorization method?
Very easy to authorize a new modem through TWC. When I activated my SB6183, all I had to do is go online and use their website. I did need a Cable bill for the account number, but TWC makes it as easy as possible. Does not matter if you have a wireless router as all modems will be locked into a walled garden, until it is activated as a Comsonics modem as the billing system can only identify customer owned modems as comsonics. If you have a TWC login, you can activate your modem using that, but it was tempermental and I had to use billing information such as my account info through a cable bill.

Also, if it does not redirect you just type in www.activatemymodem.com as that will give you the instructions to do so.

DRB

What will happen to the older cable modem after the new modem is activated?
Will it be de-activated by TWC automatically or would that have to be done somehow separately?
So if I wanted to give it to someone they could in turn activate on their own internet account?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
What will happen to the older cable modem after the new modem is activated?
Will it be de-activated by TWC automatically or would that have to be done somehow separately?
So if I wanted to give it to someone they could in turn activate on their own internet account?
Exactly, it will deactivate and I actually did just that and gave my cousin my SB6141, as I upgraded to a SB6183 (someday might upgrade to MAXX 200 or 300).