Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC- San Diego Plan For All Digital Conversion by 2016

DRB

Very easy to authorize a new modem through TWC. When I activated my SB6183, all I had to do is go online and use their website. I did need a Cable bill for the account number, but TWC makes it as easy as possible. Does not matter if you have a wireless router as all modems will be locked into a walled garden, until it is activated as a Comsonics modem as the billing system can only identify customer owned modems as comsonics. If you have a TWC login, you can activate your modem using that, but it was tempermental and I had to use billing information such as my account info through a cable bill.

Also, if it does not redirect you just type in www.activatemymodem.com as that will give you the instructions to do so.
OK I got my new SB6141 modem today and plugged it into my router in place of the old SB5101.
After the power up sequence, I can get to the cable modem status page at http://192.168.100.1 but I can't get to any online activation page.
Even trying the direct URL www.activatemymodem.com in my browser doesn't do anything.
Of course I can't get to the TWC website with the new modem since its not authorized yet.
Isn't it supposed to be able to access some webpage for authorization even when not authorized?
I also tried plugging the modem directly to my computer via ethernet bypassing the router, same result.

I had to switch back to the old cable modem to get online again for now.
Seems like you still have to call TWC by phone and give them the new MAC address like I did years ago for the older modem?

Last edited:

DRB

OK I was able to get the new SB6141 modem activated by going thru the old routine I did years ago, calling TWC and giving them the MAC ID of the new modem over the phone. Then it only took a few minutes for them to activate it and I verified internet access while on the phone with them, even did a speed test and got 17.7Mb/s download on my standard speed account.
Now I switched the modem to go thru my router and its working well at the same speeds.

The TWC rep I spoke too also confirmed MAXX internet should happen probably within a month or so, and indeed my standard speed internet should go up to 50Mb/s download and 5Mb/s upload automatically at that time now that I'm all setup with the faster DOCSIS3.0 modem that is capable up to 100Mb/s download with TWC. I wonder what the new "turbo" speed will be after MAXX upgrade?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Got a robocall from TWC about the digital migration, and I think it said November 11, and they said you will need a digital adapter or box. It did say that if you have digital equipment on your TV's, you don't have to do anything. They did say the digital adapters are free for an unspecified amount of time. However, it did not say when TWC was going to start encrypting starter TV.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
2 people in PQ on DSLReports have MAXX Standard internet (50/5); however, they are being overprovisioned to 60/6, but one person got 57/6.

2 people in PQ on DSLReports have MAXX Standard internet (50/5); however, they are being overprovisioned to 60/6, but one person got 57/6.
I assume since they only got 50 Mbps they only had a 6121 or 6141 modem. I know two people near me with those modems who got the upgrade. I have a modem that can get 200+ but no upgrade yet.

DRB

Anybody lose their analog channels as today is the day for analog reclamation.
I still get analog channels so far today at 2pm on TWC in RB.
Maybe they mean 11/11/2015 is the last day with analog channels and they will go away tomorrow perhaps?

carlsbadboltfan

Had Maxx for awhile now & always got 56/5.8. Then last week, no internet service. Rebooted modem (Arris TG862G) and now I've been getting this ever since. I'm in Carlsabd, 92009.

DRB

Still have most of the analog TV channels on TWC in RB this afternoon today (11/12).
However I did notice that a half-dozen or so of the analog channels have moved to digital only now (channels 58,59,60,65,70 and a few more) and they now show a message indicating that channel is now available digital only and require a digital adapter.
Not sure when that batch of analog channels switched to digital only, I haven't gone thru all the analog channels for a few months.
But maybe this indicates TWC is going to do the switchover in batches, not all at once on one day now?

Had Maxx for awhile now & always got 56/5.8. Then last week, no internet service. Rebooted modem (Arris TG862G) and now I've been getting this ever since. I'm in Carlsabd, 92009.

I am still waiting for someone in San Diego with an SB61830 or CM500 to report their new higher speeds.

Nile

My standard plan just got switched to Maxx two days ago:

This is using an SB6141 cable modem in 92123 (the Birdland neighborhood).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My standard plan just got switched to Maxx two days ago:

This is using an SB6141 cable modem in 92123 (the Birdland neighborhood).
MAXX is not officially here yet in San Diego, but unofficial MAXX is available for 8x4 modems. I have a 6183, so I don't get MAXX speeds just yet. MAXX will be coming evenutally.

Not sure where to post this. But a story in today's Union-Tribune Business section says once Charter merges with TW, they plan to include a modem (or at least an extra modem fee if you have your own modem) with their Internet packages. The story says Charter is the only company who bundles the rental fee for a modem into the price of their Internet service. Zoom Telephonics, who stands to lose modem sales now, has asked the FCC to reject the deal because of this.

Rick Shaw

Not sure where to post this. But a story in today's Union-Tribune Business section says once Charter merges with TW, they plan to include a modem (or at least an extra modem fee if you have your own modem) with their Internet packages. The story says Charter is the only company who bundles the rental fee for a modem into the price of their Internet service. Zoom Telephonics, who stands to lose modem sales now, has asked the FCC to reject the deal because of this.
Considering the mood that the FCC is in (regarding allowing the customer to purchase his own Cable TV STB), I think they'll urge Charter to keep modem fees and HSI fees separate.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member

DRB

I still have the analog TV channels today (11/20/2015) on TWC in RB other than about six that were converted to digital in the past month or so.
I saw a flyer that Cox South county sent out to subscribers recently and they too are now alerting to "beginning to remove the analog channels" for them in mid Jan 2016 and recommend getting up to two free mini digital tuning boxes.
Perhaps the 11/11/2015 date for TWC was also just the start of removing the analog channels, and they are going to do it gradually over the next months not all at once just like Cox Cable hinted in their flyer?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
It seems as if that is going to be the case. Next analogs will likely be those in the range of MAXX or could some very well be DOCSIS frequency range. Once TWC takes out more analogs, maybe then will we see more channel bonds.