Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC- San Diego Plan For All Digital Conversion by 2016

DRB

I noticed another bunch of analog channels went away this week on TWC, several channels above 38 including SyFy channel 57.
So it does appear the Nov 11 date was just the start of removal of analog channels, probably it could take a few months for all of them to be gone it would seem...

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Are they gone or is there still a screen that says along the lines of "if you want to watch this channel, you will need a box or a digital adapter."

DRB

Are they gone or is there still a screen that says along the lines of "if you want to watch this channel, you will need a box or a digital adapter."
Right now they have the need a box or adapter screen up, which TWC seems to do first for awhile, but the only way to get those particular channels now is with an external box.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I am now starting to think the day they turn on Encryption on Digital basic is when all analog will be gone.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Analogs still remaining

These are the analogs that still remain in San Diego and some of the channels have a scrolling alert ala EAS alerting those to get a box or an adapter to watch such channel.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I will update this post as TWC reclaims more analogs. A lot of channels still have the digital adapter graphic, but I expect those to disappear once TWC starts encrypting basic and starter.

I will update this post as TWC reclaims more analogs. A lot of channels still have the digital adapter graphic, but I expect those to disappear once TWC starts encrypting basic and starter.

And I am starting to think that those of us waiting for Maxx speeds of 200 or more may not see the upgrade until after the first of the year.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member

Analogs that still remain on TWC San Diego. A bunch of analog was recently eliminated. Channels are still showing the you need a digital adapter message, for now. Another round is likely coming soon, but it looks like TWC is on track to eliminate analogs sometime by early next year.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
More analogs are leaving the TWC San Diego system

Now we have

So basically starter TV plus ESPN, HSN, CNN, Fox News and TBS for remaining analog. A ton of channels are now at the Digital adapter nag screen, but that will change soon.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
No new analogs have been displaying the message, so there might be a Christmas and New years break, but I think after those holidays, more analogs will go away and then February to take off the message. Must mean that MAXX is coming in March as it will give them time to take off the message.

DRB

I noticed this week that a lot more of the remaining analog channels now show the message screen.
Its down to mostly just a few of the lower analog broadcast channels left now, plus the digital clear QAM channels.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed this week that a lot more of the remaining analog channels now show the message screen.
Its down to mostly just a few of the lower analog broadcast channels left now, plus the digital clear QAM channels.
Thanks for the update, as I got rid of a CRT that I used to monitor analogs.

DRB

I see today that now ALL of the remaining analog channels have the message screen.
So TWC TV is now all digital. Clear QAM channels still available without a box for now...

I am not sure if their recent changes are affecting the aspect ratio on several channels using my Digital Adapters. And this has happened with both of my Digital Adapters and on two different newer Samsung TV's. I have the adapters hooked up via HDMI. Seems channels 5, 7 and 10 as an example no longer properly fill the screen. If I set the Adapter screen format to "Stretch", then many good channels (37,8,9) are letter-boxed with black bars top and bottom. If I set the Adapter to "zoom", channel 5, 7, and 10 lose the bottom and top of the screen. And the screen appears "squeezed in at the sides. I used to have my Samsung TV just set to 16:9. Now I have to change the aspect ratio on the TV based on the channel I am watching.

I don't think I had this problem before. I tried all adjustments of the aspect ratio and screen resolution using the Adapter settings and my Samsung settings. And I cannot get a uniform 16:9 picture on all channels. Anyone else have any issues?

I am not sure if their recent changes are affecting the aspect ratio on several channels using my Digital Adapters. And this has happened with both of my Digital Adapters and on two different newer Samsung TV's. I have the adapters hooked up via HDMI. Seems channels 5, 7 and 10 as an example no longer properly fill the screen. If I set the Adapter screen format to "Stretch", then many good channels (37,8,9) are letter-boxed with black bars top and bottom. If I set the Adapter to "zoom", channel 5, 7, and 10 lose the bottom and top of the screen. And the screen appears "squeezed in at the sides. I used to have my Samsung TV just set to 16:9. Now I have to change the aspect ratio on the TV based on the channel I am watching.

I don't think I had this problem before. I tried all adjustments of the aspect ratio and screen resolution using the Adapter settings and my Samsung settings. And I cannot get a uniform 16:9 picture on all channels. Anyone else have any issues?

It's fixed this morning. All channels are again back to their proper aspect ratio. I don't know what happened yesterday. Maybe Time Warner reads this Board and got right on it after my post. Now if they could just turn on Maxx for the rest of us.