Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC- San Diego Plan For All Digital Conversion by 2016

DRB

Today I did a new cable TV channel scan on my extra Samsung HDTV's internal tuner and it found 20+ analog channels, but every one just has the message screen on it, so still a lot of channels to be released for digital use.
All the digital channels found are now scrambled except for two - a previews channel and a TWC community access channel.
Fortunately that TV supports the TWC Smart TV app, so it doesn't need a cable box since it has a wifi access.

PlotSy

Digital adapters that can be charged at any rate for each adapter owned; $1.50, then $2.75 within a few months, then $3.75, then $10+ somewhere in the future? No thanks. Canceled my service and couldn't be any happier.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Digital adapters that can be charged at any rate for each adapter owned; $1.50, then $2.75 within a few months, then $3.75, then $10+ somewhere in the future? No thanks. Canceled my service and couldn't be any happier.
Exactly, but TWC is probably going to keep it low. No idea what Charter is going to do. Then again those with a Roku device or select Smart TV can watch TWCTV with their subscription.

DRB

The Roku option is a good idea if you have TWC internet since TWC's miniboxes are very, very limited compared to Cox's miniboxes and regular cable boxes.
At least with a SmartTV or Roku TWC app, you get HD on all available channels - only SD on the TWC minibox except the few OTA HD broadcast channels. Also no guide or program info on the TWC minibox (Cox does provide that on theirs) and the TWC smart app at least shows program info.

Or at least ClearQAM is gone!
Some ClearQAM channels are back! For example, my Samsung's ClearQAM tuner shows ABC and NBC in High Def.

I also noticed ClearQAM was gone at about the time you wrote the above quote on Jan 29. But about a week ago I decided to rescan in case maybe they had simply been moved to different frequencies and I found the following channels:

17-1 NBC
17-2 COZI
17-3 ABC
17-4 SD LAFF
17-5 (I think it is Spanish)
70 large rectangular color bars
110-2 on-demand advertising
110-3 on-demand advertising
110-4 on-demand advertising
110-5 on-demand advertising
135-149 on-demand advertising
135-151 on-demand advertising

My previous channel scan was probably over a year ago and back then my Samsung TV assigned different numbers to those channels. For example, I think I remember that it assigned NBC to 39-1 and ABC to 10-1 which I think are the channels to use if you use an antenna. Now those channel numbers are changed to 17-1 and 17-3. I don't know why. Maybe Time Warner did not bother to set the channel numbers correctly in the info they apparently embed in the ClearQAM data.

Perhaps that is why my Myth TV DVR software did not have channel names or schedule info for those channels after I rescanned with my HD Home Run ClearQAM TV Tuner card. I only care about 4 of those channels, so I manually told Myth TV what channels they were and then Myth TV showed schedule info.

I cannot find certain other major channels like CBS and FOX. Can anyone else find them on ClearQAM?

I wonder why TWC offers those channels on ClearQAM so long after they said they would remove them? Maybe they just made a mistake? I'm not complaining; just curious.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, TWC now Charter does not find out as they do read forums about information like this!

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, DTA's are no longer being handed out to Spectrum customers, unless you have been grandfathered in. Those who have DTA's will still get them.