Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC Smart TV App

DRB

I bought a new Samsung Smart TV (model 40J6300) for my bedroom recently and found that it has a TWC Smart TV app.
Once I logged in using my existing TWC login email and password, it could do similar to the TWC smartphone app over a home wifi connection: I could display HD Live channel shows and ondemand programs, along with a guide of channels.
That allowed me to watch any of the TWC digital TV channels I'm subscribed to without a cable box using the wifi connection to the TV - wirelessly, kinda neat no RF cable needed either.

Does that TWC Smart TV app only work if you are subscribed to TWC's TV service in addition to their internet service? What if you only had the TWC internet service only?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
You have to have TV and Internet, in order to access TWCTV on a SmartTV, smart phone, roku, or any device for that matter.

I bought a new Samsung Smart TV (model 40J6300) for my bedroom recently and found that it has a TWC Smart TV app.
Once I logged in using my existing TWC login email and password, it could do similar to the TWC smartphone app over a home wifi connection: I could display HD Live channel shows and ondemand programs, along with a guide of channels.
That allowed me to watch any of the TWC digital TV channels I'm subscribed to without a cable box using the wifi connection to the TV - wirelessly, kinda neat no RF cable needed either.

Does that TWC Smart TV app only work if you are subscribed to TWC's TV service in addition to their internet service? What if you only had the TWC internet service only?

I have an older Samsung Smart 3d TV in my library. I have to use a small Cisco adapter to get some channels. It would be nice if Samsung rolled out that app for some older TV's too.

DRB

It appears TWC only supports newer Samsung Smart TVs, not other manufacturers?
Though they have an app for Roku devices, so for other TVs you could use a Roku to make it a smart TV and get the TWC app for that.

The TWC app is nice for extra TVs like in a bedroom so you don't need to get extra cable boxes to get all the other subscribed digital channels, beyond what you could get on an RF coax cable (analog channels and the few free-QAM channels) - this will be even more useful when TWC locally eliminated all the analog channels later this year possibly?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Some time in the next month or so, twc will alert customers that they will need a box, cablecard or digital adapter

I checked and my 4 year old Samsung Smart TV does not have the TW. What will happen to programs received on a QAM tuner after the change over. Will they all go dark?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, TWC usually encrypts everything after all digital, but the FCC allows them to. So you will need a Cisco or comparable TWC digital adapter in order to receive them.

I have 4 Digital Adapters that are now free. Once the free offer is gone I really only need 2 of them. But they will jump to $3.25 each or more by the end of summer. So I wondered how those using Roku boxes with the TW app like them? Are they HD when using an HDMI cable? Is there a channel guide? Are there limits to the channels you get? As an example, I want ESPN, Fox Business and News, AMC, USA etc. Thanks.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
You get pretty much all your subscribe channels, and yes they are HD if using an HDMI cable, but they use HD feeds and adaptive streaming. Yes, there is a guide on the Roku app. Looks just like Navigator.

My Samsung TV is one year too old to get the integrated TW app. So I am looking at the new Roku Stick 3600R coming out soon. It's supposed to be greatly improved with a faster processor. And priced at $50. With the TW app, can you get any on demand channels? What about Showtime if I get it via my TW account?

weth

I have 3 TV that used to have cable boxes but now I use a roku to get TWC with the app. It pays for itself within a year eliminating the monthly box renal fees. It is very easy to use, the picture is in HD, not as good as OTA, but better than the crap HD I see with Uverse. I don't notice a difference in the picture watching are last remaining box (which is DVR) and the other TVs on Roku. One of the TVs is a 70 inch and the HD signal is not a problem on that big screen. It does have all the on demand channels, and it is much easier and better organized to get an On Demand show or station than on the box. I say go for it.