Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

TWC - Standalone TV Tuner for basic cable

djone

Hi Everyone, I have basic cable through TWC. My TV has a built in tuner that gets all the basic cable channels but I no longer want to use my TVs tuner with my current setup. My question is this - can anyone suggest a good standalone TV tuner for both digital and analog channels like I have in my TV. It would be great if it could upconvert quality (my TV doesn't do this) but its not necessary. I want to avoid having to rent the cable box and dont care for DVR functionalities. I just want basic cable and maybe even with a built in TV guide for channel surfing. Does anyone have a good TV tuner for this? I understand that TWC will eventually go to all digital, but for now I would like to have the analog functionality in the tuner. I see there's a lot of digital only TV tuners available, just curious what people are using in San Diego. Thanks!

If you just want to test their SD channels. TW will give you a free SD Cable box until November. Since they moved some channels off their analog signal, they were offering a free deal. Then it's $1 a month. I use one just to get certain channels like BBC America and Fox Business in SD on an older TV in my office. The free box is old, slow, and the picture is just fair. For your case, since you just get basic cable, I don't know what channels you would get.

djone

fblack_111 said:
If you just want to test their SD channels. TW will give you a free SD Cable box until November. Since they moved some channels off their analog signal, they were offering a free deal. Then it's $1 a month. I use one just to get certain channels like BBC America and Fox Business in SD on an older TV in my office. The free box is old, slow, and the picture is just fair. For your case, since you just get basic cable, I don't know what channels you would get.
Thanks I didn't realize they had this option. Bummer that its slow and the picture is just fair. I might give this a try, but would still like an option to buy my own box for my basic cable. Thanks!