Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

XHDTV Transmitter Location

Trip

Are we completely sure the transmitter isn't on Mt. Cerro Bola? I know people were seeing great numbers on the signal in the San Diego area, but my friend stopped and did a signal check on his way down from Los Angeles on a hilltop that he likes to use for signal checking, and he actually called to tell me that the Mexican stations were very weak there--except for the new XHDTV-TDT, which he says was one of the strongest signals he saw there.

I just generated a coverage map for Mt. Cerro Bola assuming a tower height of 30 meters and 388.1 kW ERP (1/10 the analog).

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1266807&map=Y

That doesn't look like it's outside the realm of reason for the numbers I saw for the XHDTV-TDT signal. By comparison, here's the map that I ran which assumed XHDTV-TDT was co-located with XHAS:

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?map=Y&appid=1033348

Any opinions?

- Trip

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
XHDTV-TDT is co channelling with KAZA-DT, so thats another variable. I've looked at the proposed CH. 47 for Tijuana and the transmitter location is similar to CH. 44 which would likely be XHBJ-TDT/DT.

Trip

I'm not sure what you mean by the co-channeling being a variable. On this hill, he could not decode any of the Mexican stations except for XHDTV-TDT, which was at 100%.

- Trip

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Well KAZA-DT is on CH. 47 and it's an LA station. This is interesting. Was this hill near the coast or was it inland? If it's further inland then Cerro Bola is a big possibility. His location is most likely LOS from Cerro Bola in Espuela.

The latitude for CH. 47 and CH. 44 are separated by 1 degree on the coordinates on the TV query.

Cerro means Peak in Spanish, so Cerro Bola would mean Ball Peak or a good translation would be Ball Mountain. Bola Peak is another name for it.

By color which would indicate the strongest signals?

Trip

Green is strongest, followed by yellow, then red.

I'm just saying that I don't see how KAZA-DT would be relevant, since XHDTV-TDT steamrolled right over whatever bit of it might have been there, wherever he was exactly. (I was trying to find the coordinates he gave me and can't seem to locate them.)

- Trip

Trip

I'm now convinced that XHDTV-TDT is on Cerro Bola. My friend stopped at a rest stop north of Oceanside and did some signal tests with his spectrum analyzer. He found that 22/23/28/29/32/34 were down just barely above the noise floor, while 47 was 30 dB higher, somewhat lower than KNSD but still easily receivable. You don't get that kind of difference in levels from the same tower site unless there's a severe height discrepancy in the transmitting antennas, and I'd find it hard to believe that they added 1000 feet to the tower at Mount San Antonio for XHDTV-TDT.

- Trip

Falcon_77

I checked multiple locations and it seems clear that XHDTV is NOT on Monte San Antonio. I will organize the SA caps that I took and put them up, on AVS Forum, since I probably can't post pictures here yet. Cerro Bola seems to be the most likely site for the transmitter.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
You can post pictures here, but I don't have a gallery addon. You can use the IMG tag or upload them as an attachment.

rjsailnsd

I pulled this info off the FCC site for transmitter location as I'm trying to catch this signal from Escondido (no Luck yet). I'm using a home made 4 bay coat hanger antenna that works good for receiving 6.1,8.1,8.2,10.1,10.2,12.1,15.1,39.1,39.2,51.1,69.1-.3 from under my concrete tile roof. 6 is 40 miles away and is the hardest one to pull in but the UHF antenna still gets it. Do you think a dipole cut to the 680-686MHz frequency would receive the channel? Thanks.
Richard

XHDTV-TV BN TECATE Mexico

Service Designation: TV NTSC (analog) television station

Transmit Channel: 49 680 - 686 MHz
Virtual Channel: (viewer sees this channel number)

Network affiliation: -

File No.: BPFS-20080918AEY Facility ID number: 178674
CDBS Application ID No.: 1266807

32° 18' 49.00" N Latitude
116° 39' 53.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 3881. kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 687. meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 1220. meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 0. meters AGL

TV Zone: 2

Non-Directional Antenna ID No.: - Pattern Rotation: 0.0

oat

rjsailnsd said:
I pulled this info off the FCC site for transmitter location as I'm trying to catch this signal from Escondido (no Luck yet). I'm using a home made 4 bay coat hanger antenna that works good for receiving 6.1,8.1,8.2,10.1,10.2,12.1,15.1,39.1,39.2,51.1,69.1-.3 from under my concrete tile roof. 6 is 40 miles away and is the hardest one to pull in but the UHF antenna still gets it. Do you think a dipole cut to the 680-686MHz frequency would receive the channel? Thanks.
Richard

XHDTV-TV BN TECATE Mexico

Service Designation: TV NTSC (analog) television station

Transmit Channel: 49 680 - 686 MHz
Virtual Channel: (viewer sees this channel number)

Network affiliation: -

File No.: BPFS-20080918AEY Facility ID number: 178674
CDBS Application ID No.: 1266807

32° 18' 49.00" N Latitude
116° 39' 53.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 3881. kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 687. meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 1220. meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 0. meters AGL

TV Zone: 2

Non-Directional Antenna ID No.: - Pattern Rotation: 0.0
------------------------
Hey Richard,
Based on what I experience with my rotor, it seems that XHDTV 49.1 & MundoFox 49.2 radiate in a very directional fashion. See if the link below helps to achieve the proper orientation: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d67d988731e368a
Good luck.