Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Your Home Entertainment Setups

Alan699

Hi...,Looking nice...
I like in black color(Nexus NX2403 24" LCD TV)..I am agree with you they are quite a bit faster than those HR22 P.O.S...i am waiting to seen its pictures...Nice sharing...keep it up....

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a new TV to replace the Samsung 40", but I will have to replace the Onkyo 701 amp. I also plan on getting a 3D BD player. This might not happen until next year. Maybe it's a good idea to wait until next year. I would like to go 46", but I don't think my cabinet can fit one, without widening it. Who knows for sure.

Rick Shaw

Admin65 said:
I'm thinking of getting a new TV to replace the Samsung 40", but I will have to replace the Onkyo 701 amp. I also plan on getting a 3D BD player. This might not happen until next year. Maybe it's a good idea to wait until next year. I would like to go 46", but I don't think my cabinet can fit one, without widening it. Who knows for sure.
How wide is your cabinet?

Rick Shaw

Admin65 said:
Around 40", as the Samsung 40" TV just about fits in that cabinet.
A 40" diagonal 16X9 TV will have a screen only 34.9" wide. Considering today's ultra thin bezels, a 40" TV is probably only 35-37" wide. That's the reason I recommend actually measuring the cabinet. The 40" 5005 series Samsung TV is just 37" wide. Sony's 40" sets are also just 37.25" wide. Measure it!

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I have and the LN-R408D it is 38.9" wide. An Ultra thin bezel is around 37.1" wide. Samsung does not make a D7000 or D8000 40" TV :mad:, which is bad since I like the D7000 and D8000's features. Maybe I can widen the cabinet. It's a modular cabinet, so I'm good. I'm thinking about replacing the amp with a TX-NR709 or 809. I really don't want to replace the amp, but I have to due to Blu-ray. This is what happens when you don't upgrade your stuff.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Then again, I'm thinking about getting a Passive 3D set and not an Active 3D set. I'm sure next year will have newer and better models, or they could just be the same TV as last year with a newer model number.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This new 3DTV and new receiver upgrade will also require a new powerline AV system that is hopefully better than my PLK300. That thing is slow. I might need 2 switches so I can wire the receiver, TV and 3D BD player. I will probably wait until next year to get a new TV, but we shall see.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My PC now has a nVidia GeForce GTX 460, which I got for a nice deal at Amazon. I now have fully HW accelerated Flash :).

DRB

Admin65 said:
My PC now has a nVidia GeForce GTX 460, which I got for a nice deal at Amazon.
I got a new Asus GTX460 video card earlier this year on ebay for a good deal as well - excellent video upgrade for my 6core AMD based PC I built exactly a year ago! :)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is an eVGA, which is what Amazon had. I could have gotten a GTX550, but the 460 is faster.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I did buy a new ZyXEL gigabit powerline, but I think that outlet has some kind of filtration which I am beginning to think that it is not as fast as it should be. I might consider a new TV to replace the Samsung 40" next year, but we shall see about that.

I should get on with getting DirecTV. I would not mind having both a HR34 and a HR24 with a couple of H25's or H24 boxes.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I did a speed test on my Galaxy Nexus and got 8521 down and 3194 up at a Jersey Mikes near my house. This was with 2 signal bars of reception. Then again, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus tends to be tempermental when it comes to radio reception. LTE is fast for sure. I get a better upload speed on my phone than I do at home using TWC.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member

This is my record on a San Diego server with a 98 ms ping. Ensenada is slower but has a lower ping. I think San Diego is the fastest. Yes I am on LTE and not my home connection.

Did you try the Dream Host server out of LA, at least on my Time Warner HSI, that always seems to have the lowest ping time from my experiences.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Main room near the Kitchen

Sony KDL-55V5100
Cisco Explorer 8642HDC
Roku2 XS DVP
Sony PS3 Slim (CECH-2001)
LG BD630

Family room

Samsung LN-R408D
Samsung SMT-H3272 MR-DVR
Old Panasonic DVD player which we really don't use anymore
Old VCR
Onkyo Amp from a while back and 6.1 Polk System - Probably should upgrade it
Sanyo 12" 33/45 RPM Direct Drive Turntable

My Room
Panasonic 13" TV/VCR combo unit
Zenith Sound System that I almost never use
Roku XD|S DVP

Office

Samsung LN-T1953 TV
Samsung SMT-H3260 HD-STB

Internet

TWC RoadRunner 10/1
Cisco Webstar DPC2100 Modem
Asus RT-N66U w/AsusWRT-Merlin

Package:

TWC Mega Charged (9/09 Bundle)
2 HD-DVR, 1 HD-STB
1 SA M-Card for Ceton InfiniTV4
HD VIP pack
All Major Premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime Unltd, Starz)
Variety Pack, Sports Pack, Digital Movie Pass, Choice Pack

I also have an old PS2 and Gamecube as well. I think I've covered everything but the computer.

My Phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon).

My Computer specs

Intel C2Q6600 at stock
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard
4 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Ceton InfiniTV4 (PCIe)
2TB WD Caviar black
1TB Samsung HDD
I also have an 80 GB drive as well
HP 940c Printer
CA-3602 Speakers
NEC 20WMGX2 monitor
Samsung DVD Burner
OS as of 1/2/2012: 64 bit Windows 7 Pro SP1, Ubuntu 12.04 amd64

This is as of 7/16/2012.

Edit: Made some changes which should have been made earlier.